Can WAFFLE/JNA be used for unix auth

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:05 AM

I want to implement authentication for different unix flavors and this is not for just AD (in fact, can live without AD) but need to authenticate local users on unix. Is there any open source I can use. Can I use JNA for doing the same as WAFFLE is doing for Windows ? 

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2011 at 1:50 PM

You certainly can. Waffle of course is all about Active Directory and mostly Windows (at least for now), but you can use the model and implement an authentication provider that does whatever. You can implement IWindowsAuthProvider and if that works, maybe we can weed out the "Windows" part from the class names so that your local *nix provider can make more sense in this project.

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Do you know what can be used for Unix native access here. As for Windows you guys are using Netapi32Util. Also the requirement we have is not to have native distribution for each unix platform/flavors. 

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM

JNA works for all platforms, it's "java native access" (https://jna.dev.java.net/). There're samples that work for windows, many flavors of unix, etc. When I started working on Waffle I took JNA and contributed the API layer that you're looking at. Netapi32Util calls functions in Netapi32 that calls a native netapi32.dll in Windows. That is completely transparent with JNA.

I suggest you first add functionality in JNA to login a Posix (or whatever your flavor of unix is) user or verify his password.

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:42 PM
Do you what is the native library I can use to call for authentication? Is it part of the JNA unix package?

I understand I need to add functionality in JNA for unix auth but not sure what native lib to use like you used netapi32.dll or advapi32.dll for windows.

Thanks,
Nilesh

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 11:09 AM, dblock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

JNA works for all platforms, it's "java native access" (https://jna.dev.java.net/). There're samples that work for windows, many flavors of unix, etc. When I started working on Waffle I took JNA and contributed the API layer that you're looking at. Netapi32Util calls functions in Netapi32 that calls a native netapi32.dll in Windows. That is completely transparent with JNA.

I suggest you first add functionality in JNA to login a Posix (or whatever your flavor of unix is) user or verify his password.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (waffle@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email waffle@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2011 at 10:56 PM
ndixit3 wrote:

I understand I need to add functionality in JNA for unix auth but not sure what native lib to use like you used netapi32.dll or advapi32.dll for windows.

Hey, Windows guy here :) No idea, sorry.