Does Waffle support tomcat 5.5

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I would like to know whether waffle supports tomcat 5.5 or not.

Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2010 at 3:46 PM

You should try. I am pretty sure the servlet filters will work, but I am not sure whether the Tomcat valve that uses a tomcat catalina.jar will. In any case, it would be easy to backport it to Tomcat 5.5 once you know what the specific problems are.

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Hi,

I tried setting up waffle on two separate instances of tomcat 5.5. However, I got the ClassNotFoundException for the class name "waffle.apache.NegotiateAuthenticator". I could successfully use the waffle samples on a tomcat 6.0 version. I tried using both Jdk1.5 and Jdk1.6. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mindplus

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2010 at 2:19 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Sep 17, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I created http://waffle.codeplex.com/workitem/9423 and spent an hour looking at this. The servlet and spring filters (waffle-filter, waffle-spring-filter) work because they don't have any dependencies on Tomcat itself and comply with the generic servlet specs. With Tomcat 5.5 you have to place jna.jar, platform.jar and waffle-jna.jar into tomcat's common\lib. These two samples work without changes.

I couldn't get the Tomcat valves and jaas stuff to work, details are in the bug (+ a patch to compile against Tomcat 5). I don't plan to work on this, but I would gladly take a patch that solves it from someone who really cares. Otherwise I recommend using the servlet filter (and even better, Spring) - Tomcat has moved away from the Valves in Tomcat 7 already, so this is an old way of doing things.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. It worked for us.

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2010 at 1:14 PM
mindplus wrote:

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. It worked for us.

You can easily return the favor. Reply to Are you using WAFFLE in your product? and we also love good ratings! ;)

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2010 at 11:06 PM

There's now a fork of 1.4 that supports Tomcat 5.5. The valves do work now, but not the JAAS modules. We still naturally recommend you use the servlet filters instead, but all 1.4 forks will ship.

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Also, if you're going to run under Tomcat with security manager enabled, read this post.